Thursday, July 19, 2012

Summer In Napa, CA...Eating downtown: First Look

I'm in Napa, CA this summer. I know, rough life, right? :) I am working while here so it's not a total vacation!


Anyway, here's a nugget of reviews from the food I've discovered. We are downtown in Napa, so that's where I'll start:


Where to SKIP:


Tuscany...skip this! It's a large, nice looking restaurant in downtown Napa, but it's what I call "tourist Italian." For those who feel most comfy at the Olive Garden. It's not good.


Another SKIP: Ca Momi at the Oxbow...the pizza anyway. After being spoiled by our delish pizza in Tucson (who'dda thunk it?), I was MAJORLY disappointed in the canned mushroom Funghi pizza and horrible Quattro Formaggi. Yikes! The crust was pretty good, too, but the toppings really let us down. Badly done pizza is a crime. My theory? If you just don't know what you're doing, don't do it!


Where to GO:


Zazu...I love tapas and this place is small and wonderful. Very intimate, very friendly and very good. While we were standing on the street checking out the menu, two passersby (different people, not couples) said "Great food!" as they walked by. Two unsolicited great reviews? So glad we tried it. Will go back!


Angele...Very nice, very popular. I had a great burger and fries, but this is NOT a burger joint. The lady next to me had a wonderful looking chicken cassoulet and my hubby had deeply rich risotto. Will go back!

Goose and Gander in St. Helena: Had my first taste of pork belly here. To some that may be old news, but I hadn't tried it. Very nice. Great patio and lunch. The only complaint? Waitress brough appetizers with the meal. This is a no-no, but the food was good enough to recommend.

More to come...:)



No comments:

Post a Comment